lunedì 5 marzo 2018

What I Miss and What I Love

This is an attempt of summarise things I miss and things I love.
Of course it's not perfectly articulate and not nearly complete as, to no one surprise, the things I miss are way more deep than a blog post could ever describe and, to my surprise, the things I love are so , so many more.


What I miss
One. I miss my family and friends and my friends kids. And possibly become their favourite aunt!.
I have to admit though that I thought it was going to be worst. Technology helps a lot. And cheap flights too!
me and my niece and nephew
Two. I miss the sense of community I had in familiar places: rowing team I saw three or four times a week plus all the time spent on trips for the regattas. The volunteer group I was part of for basically all my adult life. Even just walking in town, in my very small town, and meeting people you know and that know you.  
rowing in Venice with my favourite crew!
Three. Being able to express my thoughts with no effort at all and understanding everything that goes around a table drinking a beer.
Not having an accent and sounding completely and utterly NORMAL to everyone.

Four. This may sound very childish and from a spoiled brat but I really miss my food and wine. My healthy, good , gorgeous food. I really took for granted the forever availability of the good option everywhere, from the work canteen to the fancy restaurant. As it turns out, not that easy on this side of the world.

What I love

One. The new friends I’m making. It takes time, and the older you get , the harder it gets. But moving away it’s a very good chance to see new faces and making new friends. Not an easy task, especially for impatient people like me, but I’m starting to think I’ve got lucky on this side of the world too.

Birthday Chinese dinner for a friend
Two. Because everything is new, you just need this twenty seconds of bravery to go out there and introduce yourself. It might not be the most comfortable feeling , but it’s exciting, it’s new, you don’t know what’s going to happen and you are free to be what ever you want to be. Hopefully the best version of yourself to show off to you new community. And that’s the plan!

Three. I can speak another language and the local one pretty well too.  I’ll never not be a foreigner. I’ll always have an accent. And it’s weirdly intricated with all the places I’ve learned English in. Somebody from work thought I was Italian American the other day. I speak at least two languages every day and that’s pretty cool.

Four. Manchester is the most cosmopolitan town I’ve ever visited. It’s young, it’s growing , it’s embracing its immigrants and it’s also a foodie town. This means you can find a good restaurant serving food from basically every country of the world. Without even trying, in the past year I’ve had Chinese (of course), Indian (many…and picked my favourite), Greek (very fond of this place), Japanese, Vietnamese, British ( of course!), American (not worth it), Lebanese, Peruvian, Korean and Canadian. And when homesickness hits hard, a very good pizzeria it’s just around the corner!
Sunday Roast cooked by local friends!


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento